Thursday, September 06, 2007

SoHo or So So

Remember the bag I was working on a week or so back? The one for the store to use as a sample? Well that original bag that I was making from the book "Bags a knitters dozen" has been frogged. Hallelujah!!!!
The pattern had so many errors and I just couldn't figure it out. I even had 2 very experienced knitters from the knitting store coaching me on that bag. Finally the shop owner, said to forget it, because if it was such a headache for me, we sure wouldn't want to encourage customers to knit it. So I chose another simple bag from the same book.

The SoHo Sling. It sure looked cute in the book, but I am just not WOW'd by this pursey/pouch. I tried to make it truly grand by giving it some great beaded fringe and a lovely vintage lining. The fabric is from my mothers fabric stash. I am pretty sure the fabric is about 40 years old and that she had a housecoat made from it when I was just a little girl ; ) Anyway the bag just doesn't hang nice if you ask me. But that may well be my old age. I think perhaps a young gal, may just love to throw it on her shoulder for a fun accent piece. It does have 3 different hanging options. I have photograghed 2 of them. The third option requires a button that a loop hooks around, it sort of makes the bag fold into a triangle. See the loop in the one photo? The handle is pulled through it for one of the looks. I have not added the button as the store owner didn't think it was necessary. I, do not like shoulder bags particularly well, so perhaps that is why I don't care for this bag. It is about 9 inches by 9 inches.
So is this a bag you would love to have or is it just "So So"?

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I still love the yarn, and I think the fringe suits it, but overall I think it maybe so-so. I am wondering if the bag would have been nicer in a "drapier" fiber. Something that was a bit more pliable. Know what I mean? I would be curious to see what a button did for this, and the the fun fold.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home