Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Long Time no See!

Well I am back, and have missed posting my Friday Fiber PrOn. I am saddened to report that we had a funeral in our family. We were traveling back and forth for the few weekends before the end and I just couldn't take the time to post about fiber during that time. My father in law, whom I knitted the birthday socks for, passed away. As heartbreaking and difficult as it has been for the family, we realize what a blessing it is, that God has called him home. Cancer is a nasty beast and the fight is not an easy one. I am honored to report that even though he didn't get to wear his birthday socks here on earth, that he was buried in them and so will have them on permanently ; )

So on to some fibery goodness, or perhaps not so GOOD. This week I will share the progress I have made on my summer tank. I am knitting it from Bamboozle by Crystal Palace using their own pattern. http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/bamboozle-cable_shell.html
I am sorry to report that this yarn has not been a friendly one to work with. It is so easily snagged and I am afraid that the very first time I wear it, I will have loose threads pulled out everywhere. The yarn has 7 ply's and they are hardly even twisted together. Fiber content is 55% Bamboo, 24% Cotton and 21% Elastic. The yarn has a bit of a sheen and it was difficult to get some good quality pictures. I took about 10 shots and these are the best of the bunch. I tried flash and no flash, no flash seemed to work the best. I am not too happy with the way the fabric has a roll at the hemline, trying to figure out what I will do about that???? Any suggestions?
The tank in the pattern appears to have a slight roll, but nothing like mine. Perhaps it will block or wash out? Fingers crossed. I do not want to be disappointed in my first real wearable, but I have a feeling it is headed in that direction.

3 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

That bamboo weighs a hundred pounds once it's finished too. I still haven't sewn my last bamboo venture together.

9:17 PM  
Blogger "T" Van Hoecke said...

Oh Great Guinifer I was thinking it felt heavy, but my cousin is knitting the tank pattern along with me, and she was thinking it was feeling light.
HMMMM How heavy can a tank be???

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tina - what about adding some rows of single crochet around the bottom? You can't really block out the rolling, its the nature of stockinette - but I'm knitting a tank right now and my pattern calls for a few rows in crochet around the hem - I'll add that last and this will fix the rolling...

good luck - too bad the yarn is yucky to work with...

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home