Saturday, September 30, 2006

Step into my Laboratory...

Well still no Spinning wheel! I contacted the company and they thought I would have it by next week. So I am still entertaining myself by dying yet more fiber.
I purchased a LB. of White Bluefaced Leicester Roving, to play with. I have heard this is wonderful roving to spin for a beginner so hopefully I am not going to ruin this.
I did tear the huge rope of roving in half length wise so I still have a lot left over, just in case.
I am using Procion dye, which my cousin Karen and I purchased together to dye fabric with the crazy intent to dye fabric, that was when we were going to bead dolls. Well we have moved on.
So must use this dye up.
I know from when I dyed my wool yarn with the guild ladies that this dye must be steamed.
I have read about women using jars to dye in, I also saw a woman who dyed with jars in her crockpot.
So here I am trying my own experiment with jars in my canning kettle. I have no idea what it will turn out like, but hey it was fun to play with it.
I want to show a picture of the lovely soft fiber in its lovely white condition, and now the roving in the dye pot. I will share pictures of the outcome once it is done. There is more blue than is visible at this point. I did add a tad bit of blue to the top of a solid magenta red jar after I snapped this picture.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks interesting!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home