Wednesday, August 24, 2005

No Art Happening today

Today was a pretty busy day, in that my Dad put the final touches on the furnace (and yes I say final)
The boys both had football, Mandy had Sylvan testing today and we had her review meeting. She tested great! At the beginning of summer she was testing at grade level 5 or 6. Now only 3 months later she is testing all 8th grade levels! We are very very happy. She still has some work to do. You might ask, how can that be, as she is just entering 8th grade?
Did you know that in the public school system that when you are averaging a C overall, you are considered to be working at your grade level. Well at Sylvan they aim to get a child working above grade level. So if Mandy was a B student, in the 8th grade she would be working at 9th grade level. If she was getting A's she would be working at 2 grades higher than the grade she is in. C is average and if you are getting C's you are working at grade level. That somehow seems wrong to me. Sad that our public school system considers C's and D's adequate work. I know, I know, not every child can get A's and B's. I am beginning to wonder about that? I am thinking that perhaps most can if they were taught properly!
Sylvan feels they can get Mandy working at an A/B level. I would be soooo happy for that.
What troubles me greatly is that if Sylvan Learning can get her working at an A/B level, why can't our public school system? Or better yet, why do they choose not to????
Education is everything, I personally believe it is the one thing I can do for my child to secure her future. If she can get good grades she will be able to go places and do things for herself! Without a good education, she could struggle all of her life. I don't want her to have to rely on anyone. I want her, to have the power and the skills to make her life what she wants it to be.

Mandy had soccer practice tonight, and afterwards, in order to celebrate her Sylvan success, we took her and the boys to Cold Stone Creamery ice cream. YUMMY!
So the closest thing I got to art today was having a Cold Stone Original Creation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home